Monday, June 7, 2010

Other Mamas

It is an undeniable fact that Mamas need other Mamas--other women who are currently in the same trenches that we are. Having the support of Mamas who have been in the trenches before us is also incredibly valuable, but there is a great need to have support from those who are still in the midst of it all. When our toddler pulls off his dirty diaper, and the dog is the first to investigate it; when our baby won't sleep through the night; or when it's our daughter's first day of kindergarten--we need to be able to call on the Mamas who can still freshly recall the frustration, sleeplessness, and emotions of it all.

They are the ones we can call when we are needing some added perspective or even accountability. They are the ones we can call just to vent or cry or laugh at ourselves. Or even if we don't have anything in particular to say, these women understand that we just needed to talk to another adult. And we'd gladly return the favor any day. We have the freedom to admit our shortcomings, our annoyances, our fears, and our questions, knowing that none of us has all the answers. We're all just figuring it out as we go, and we need these Mamas to remind us of this.

Even if we have the most amazingly supportive and involved husband in the world, he still can't replace that need we have for support from other Mamas. If for no other reason, he just can't fully understand the joys and woes of breastfeeding . . . or hormones. Nor does he want to.

Take some time to thank these wonderful Mamas in your life! And if you don't have this kind of support, I advise you to do all that you can to find it. You'll be glad you did!

Mama Question: Do you have this kind of support group? Share a story with us about a time when another Mama really helped you out in some way.


2 comments:

laurie said...

I can't agree more. I'm already actively working on building this support in my life before I start reproducing, because I know how important it is. Hoping to be pregnant at the same time as at least 1 of my friends! Trying to get a little "village" established. :)

Missy Nettles said...

I couldn't agree more! My Mama Friends have been lifesavers for me. Carrie, you know I have called you many times just to make sure I'm not crazy. And you have encouraged me so much every time! It is invaluable to know you're not alone.